6 small to medium sized baking potatoes
Salt and Pepper
90 gm Beef Bacon chopped
300 gm mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
2 green onions thinly sliced
1. Scrub the potatoes clean (very clean) then bake the potatoes. You can either bake for almost 90 minutes in a 250 degree Celsius oven for almost 90 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through and give a little when pressed. Or you can rub them with olive oil all over and cook them in the microwave for around 5 minutes on high per potato.
2. While the potatoes are cooking, heat a little sunflower oil in a skillet and cook the bacon on medium low heat until crisp (10-15 minutes). Drain on paper towels and let cool.
3. Remove the potatoes from the oven and let cool enough to handle. Cut in half horizontally and unsing a spoon carefully scoop out the insides leaving a little meat on the skins (around 3/4 cm). You can use the scooped out potatoes to make mashed potatoes.
4. Increase the heat of the oven to 300. Rub olive oil all over the potato skins, inside-out, sprinkle with salt and place on baking rack. Cook for 10 minutes on one side, flip, and then cook for 10 minutes on the other side.
5. Remove the skins from the oven and leave until cool enough to handle. 6. Place skins, skin-side down, on rack. Place cheese and bacon and sprinkle with pepper. Return to oven under broiler for 4 minutes until cheese is bubbly.
7. Remove from oven, using tongs, place skins on serving platter. Add a spoonful of sour cream and sprinkle with green onions.
8. Serve immediately.
* I promised Dina I would put this up, so here it is. Adapted from Simply Recipes, this is one of my favorite appetizers, yet is sooo hard to find. Especially if you don't want it to be too greasy. This is why I love this recipe, these skins are baked not fried, unlike most of the ones you find in restaurants.